Friday, March 02, 2007

Post from a friends bog...

Here is a post from a friends blog... Wow... I feel like this


I have often envied the prophets. Most people look at their lives and see how difficult it must have been for them. How difficult it must have been to preach with no fruit. To live friendless, without family, without material things, without a comfort in the world. They seem like very unenviable people. But I envy them. You know what I envy? The certainty of their call. Moses heard the voice of God from a burning bush. Elijah had fire fall from heaven to confirm his ministry. The Apostles looked at the Son of God in the face and heard his commands directly. There was no doubt. Even walking through the valley of the shadow of death there was that one thing they could still bank on: God told me to walk here.

So I envy them at times. I certainly don’t suffer like them, but at times I think I would be willing to if only I could have their certainty. It’s the scariest thing in the world to lie awake at night and wonder if I’m on the right path. I don’t mean the right path as in following Jesus; I’m not haunted by those doubts anymore. I mean if the path I’m on, or the path I’m shooting for, the path that Jesus is on? Am I actually following him or did I jump on this train as a result of my own ambitions or desires to look radical and nuts? I never had a burning bush experience. God didn’t speak to me one night from a whirlwind and tell me to kick it off to the Sindh, but here I am anyway. Why? How have I been called to this work? Have I been called?

But whenever these doubts come up I remember what I have heard. How hundreds of tiny circumstances in my life (each one meaningless on its own) have worked together to bring me here. Coincidences that just cannot be coincidence. The people and events that God called into my life have practically driven me here without my help. Has God sent me here? Sure as hell (or heaven, for that matter). And I think of the general call of Christ. Remember his last words in Matthew? Most preachers focus on the part that says ‘into all the world’ or ‘make disciples’. You know what part I like the best? “All authority has been given to me. Go, therefore…” I am the king of the world. So go. The highest authority has told me to go. So I must go.

But this call business is pretty tricky, isn’t it? I’ve lay awake many a night before coming here trying so hard to figure out what I was supposed to do with my life. All the while scared to death that I might pick the wrong path and be screwed for the rest of my life. The path didn’t really show up until I stopped trying to hard. That’s the thing with a call, you can’t figure it out until the call actually comes, then you just have to answer. But how on earth do we know if we are called? I thought of a few ideas:

  • First, realize that you are called. Whether you live in Canada, India or Saudi, if you are sealed by the Spirit of Holiness you have been called. God doesn’t divide his people into levels with missionaries and monks on the top and normal folks somewhere near the bottom. Whether you are preaching in a desert tent or fixing a leak in your home in Niagara Falls, God has called you to display the riches of his glory. There is a general call for all children of God to live radical lives of obedience that show people around that Christ is our treasure and only him. In this way you have been called. But what about a special call? Like a call to a ministry or crazy-go-nuts place?
  • That brings us to an inner witness. Jeremiah said that the Word of God was like a fire in his bones, he was weary of holding it in. That’s an inner witness to a different type of life. Some of us simply feel (perhaps subjectively, perhaps fallibly) that they should be somewhere doing something different.
  • There’s the witness of circumstance. When everything in your life seems to be pointing towards that one thing that keeps coming back to your mind. God is in control of every atom in the universe, it makes sense that he would use the events of our lives to point us in the way we should go.
  • There’s the witness of joy. Joy is very important in the Christian life. If you truly are aching to see what God’s will is for your life, follow the joy. If your heart is close to his your joy will be what honors him. And what honors him cannot be bad.
  • There’s the witness of Scripture. When a part of the Bible speaks to you about something specific in a new way.
  • Can we ever figure out what the will of God really is for our lives? Of course! In fact, you should know it already! The Bible says that God’s will for our lives is our sanctification. God’s will for every single believer is to see them sanctified. We talk about calls to go and calls to stay, in the end they are all just ways that God uses to get us (and others) sanctified, made holy.

    So I would offer this 1.5 cents worth of advice to those of you who are wondering what the heck God wants with them: Look at your life. Look at where you have been and where you are now. Look at the people who are in your life and the options around you. Look at your heart. Where does the joy lie? Where does the chance for sanctification lie? I bet none of you will have rock-solid answers for those. I’ve been here for almost two years and I still don’t know what’s going to happen down the road, but I’ve thrown my chips in here. I’ve bet everything on this single hand. The comforting thing about working for the Kingdom is this: When you’ve bet everything, there is nothing to lose. And Jesus promises to pay me back. I guess if all you want to do is make Jesus look glorious, get yourself sanctified and love every human you come in contact with, it doesn’t matter much where you go.

    No comments: